Experienced retailers know a storefront and display shelves with merchandise on display do not guarantee enough sales and successful business. An elaborate sign with convincing visuals and a persuasive message should do the trick. However, you must identify where to place store signage correctly.
Aspect of Location
Location is crucial. Making a signage and installing it somewhere will not attract your desired patrons. The brainy shop owner must think of the proper store signage placement.
What are the things to mull over in strategic positioning?
Content determines the sign’s position. Identify your consumers and the message or information you want to convey. If the signage is digital, it will be ideal to install it in waiting areas where people stay longer. The display’s elevation should be suitable for interaction. Store entrances or windows will be great if the retailer’s goal is to attract new shoppers. Identify areas with high traffic in figuring out the most effective retail signage placement.
Here are some things to consider:
- Find out what people are doing at that moment such as simply waiting or currently in transit.
- Where do they usually stop? Identify common places these people hang around.
- There may be physical obstacles like dividers, posts and stairways.
A primary location for displays is where consumers spend time most. Take into account distance from the ground. Interactive signs installed 10 feet up the wall will not accomplish its objective. Displays must be seen clearly. It needs to have interaction with possible shoppers.
An individual with normal eyesight can see without difficulty up to 23 feet or seven meters in front. The average person will take five to seven seconds to walk that stretch. It means the retailer has this time to convey the message if the display is set at eye level. Engagement is shorter if the sign is placed far higher than the eye level. The field of sight decreases as the person comes nearer to the wall. This is a vital factor in store signage placement.
Display angle also influences the time of interaction. The signage must be pointing downward if it is static so consumers can look up to the display. Digital signs must point upwards to facilitate a longer period of interaction.
Importance of Surroundings
Backdrop or ambiance can mean success or failure of the signage. The display must be installed in an area with fewer visuals. Customers may be overcome by too many objects trying to get their attention. It will be better if you put the sign on the shelving space or empty wall across a group of products.
Surroundings do not always pose a hindrance. Take advantage of the background so it becomes an asset. Installation of retail signage placement is effective if it amalgamates with space in inconspicuous but visible ways. Obtrusive architectural components such as columns or partitions present innovative opportunities for electronic signage displays.
Store owners should identify where to place store signage. Any sign post is not simply a promotional item. On the contrary, it is a one of a kind installation that optimizes visibility and appeal of store displays. In retail, artistic placement of signage is capable of engaging shoppers and lure passers-by inside the establishment. The bottom line is this display can generate additional customers.
Attract Customers Inside
The cardinal rule is to get prospective shoppers inside your store. This is more of a concern for small retail enterprises because they do not have the broad customer base of large retailers. Signs should be at the entrance or driveway to make people aware that you have good products to offer.
This distinguishes you from competitors that do not display merchandise in front of their shops. The store sign does many things such as helping patrons find out where commodities are displayed; provide directions inside the store; and, advertise sales or rebates.
This advertisement can be installed near the store entrance, passageways or at the front of each section. The store signage placement at the entrance will ensure that shoppers are given the right information as they enter the establishment. Signs need to entertain consumers and influence purchasing behavior of consumers.
Minor and major retailers need to consider the following:
- Store signs must be clean, operational and lighted 24/7. Busted signs can turn off consumers. This indicates proprietors do not care or are simply negligent.
- Customers must be able to read signs from a certain distance. The signage must single out what the retailer sells. If the store depends on foot traffic, chalkboard sign posts put on sidewalks or at the storefront can be effective. However, see to it that these signs conform to local ordinances and community policies.
- Make sure to replace window store signage placement. Change displays on a regular basis to emphasize sales or seasonal products. The display must attract people but it should not obstruct the view of goods inside the selling area. ]
- Never forget the nitty-gritty. Store hours, contact details (phone numbers, website URL, email addresses and other information must be displayed clearly at the store entrance.
- Signage should be capable of directing traffic inside. Decals or stickers can hang from ceilings or attached on shelves to give customers details such as new merchandise, sale items, clearances, and gift suggestions.
- The store signage placement must utilize not only words but images and other designs. These are fun ways to enhance in-store displays. In fact, video footages, social media and other sophisticated technologies can make retail displays more enticing to potential buyers.
The retail sector has evolved considerably especially at this time when technology continues to capture the attention of consumers. For store owners, marketers and visual merchandisers, the key is to pinpoint where to place store signage correctly.